Why PUT the results of a maths field into a decimal field

Discuss your general Proclaim related queries here.
Jacqueline

Why PUT the results of a maths field into a decimal field

Post by Jacqueline » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:06 am

I'd be so grateful if anyone could tell me the reasons for 'PUTTING' a maths field result (using a variable) into a decimal field ? When is it necessary - and when isn't it?

I'm getting error messages about too many nested maths within maths fields when opening a screen I created to check billing figures - (ultimately for our Word invoices in WFM).

I'm using maths fields to total sub-totals (which again are maths fields).

I can't see any consistency in existing maths total fields - some PUT, others don't.

Also when brought into WMF word documents, does it matter whether it's a maths field or should it be a decimal field that's been PUT into?

I hope the above makes sense. Many thanks in anticipation.

revellbikes

Re: Why PUT the results of a maths field into a decimal field

Post by revellbikes » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:09 am

Hi Jacqueline,

Good question, it usually depends on the particular situation you're creating the maths item for.

For example, you would store the value if you wanted to take a snapshot of the value at a particular point in time. There's no harm in using the return-value in the majority of situations, it's not incorrect, it just depends how you're using the data I guess.

Tough one to explain without more examples, someone else may be able to expand on the above!

For your particular application, invoicing, it maybe more suitable to store the values, so these can be referred to in the future. If something changed in the calculation, then you would lose the initial value used on the invoice and potentially lead to confusion.

That's my initial thoughts anyway :)

Jacqueline

Post by Jacqueline » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Thank you Revellbikes - however since I keep both fields on the same screen - with the maths field running as soon as you enter that screen - that figure would change anyway if the calculation changed.

So bringing a maths field into an WFM invoice (without having PUT into another decimal field) would correctly calculate that figure 'on the fly' from other sub-totals calculated 'on the fly' to merge into word?

randers

Post by randers » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi Jacqueline, you wouldn't then be able to report on that figure.

If for example you wanted to generate the letter to the client detailing the WIP + disbs after 3 months, then again at 6 months, it would be fine when you generate the letter as it will be the correct value at that point. However if you wanted to go back and report on the 3 month figure it would take someone to go back and pull that figure out of all the documents as it wouldn't be stored in a decimal figure.