Document Management Systems

Imports, export, webservices, custom integration work, 3rd party software plugins etc. Questions about these topics live here.
galexander

Document Management Systems

Post by galexander » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:29 pm

Does anyone have any experience of using Proclaim with a third party DMS?
We are thinking about getting iManage, any feedback from anyone with any experience of this type of integration would be appreciated.

revellbikes

Re: Document Management Systems

Post by revellbikes » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:52 pm

I guess it depends what you're going to be using the DMS for.

Proclaim stores all documents and emails etc in sequential order in a fairly rudimentary system of folders. As long as Proclaim can continue storing history items and retrieving them in this way, then you shouldn't run into problems.

I don't really know how iManage works, but at a guess you will point it at certain locations on your file system and it will 'sniff' for new files or updated files and store these in the cloud for access anywhere on the planet on any device?

If my guess is right then I would watch out for performance issues whilst 'sniffing' for files during live service and other conflicts if both systems are trying to access the same file for example.

Sorry I can't offer any first hand experience - someone else might have come across it. If not I would speak directly with Eclipse to get their ideas on the matter aswell.

galexander

Post by galexander » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.

It is to do with some of our worktypes where large documents are sent out, revised, brought back in, generally passed around to multiple people to review and amend. The important thing is keeping track of changes and document versioning, in-house and when docs are sent off-site and returned by email. Proclaim doesn't currently have the facility to handle anything this advanced so we need to look elsewhere for this functionality.

revellbikes

Post by revellbikes » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:17 pm

I guess it all depends on your requirements, what you need Proclaim to do and what this new system will be doing for you. Do you still need to store these documents in Proclaim? Or could you store a link to the document instead if it's cloud based? How do you envisage Proclaim integrating with the new product?

There might be some tools in Proclaim that you're not currently using and that may well help. It's hard to say as I don't know your full requirements but here goes...

You could probably use embedded documents to your advantage here, storing each version of the document into the history using an incoming mail phrase setup with an embedded document field. You can then add a viewer to a screen which would allow you flick through the previous versions of that document. Downside being you'd need an Incoming Mail, Embedded Document field and Screen per document.

nick78

Post by nick78 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:34 pm

the best use for document is google drive if you to manage your document use this its amazing and it works without interuption.......

nick78

Post by nick78 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:37 pm

Proclaim stores all documents and emails etc in sequential order in a fairly rudimentary system of folders....

Netwiseit

Post by Netwiseit » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:28 pm

We currently have iManage and Proclaim but there's no integration between the two and no plans (as far as I'm aware) of Proclaim ever integrating with a DMS. I do though have an example of it working if you have worksite installed on the same PC as iManage. You CAN save into Worksite and also have a separate document in the case history.

Firstly everything is set up in Proclaim and then when the document is created, you go File > Save As > Worksite
This will open up the Worksite file store window to which you can save the document to. Once you've saved the document, you can then click the X of word and the document will be saved into the Proclaim case history as any other document.

The issue you then have is the versioning of documents. If a change is made to the document in Worksite, you'd have to drop it into Proclaims history to keep the case history relevant. You'd also have to do the File Save > Worksite > New Version if going from Proclaim to Worksite.

This was deemed too much to do for the FE/Paralegals so was dropped.

We're currently looking at other options due to no integration with iManage.

Hope that helps.