Problems with .CSV files exported from Eureka Data Exchange

Imports, export, webservices, custom integration work, 3rd party software plugins etc. Questions about these topics live here.
Ru5tyLee

Problems with .CSV files exported from Eureka Data Exchange

Post by Ru5tyLee » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:12 am

Hey,

We have recently had a bespoke piece of export software created to export data from our accounting software (Sage 200) in the form of .CSV files. The intention being that these files will be picked up by directory monitoring for import. The problem is that although directory monitoring is picking up these files and moving them to the processed folder the data is not being imported into the relevant cases. The process works fine with a manually created .CSV, I have made sure that all the options involved in setting up the directory monitoring jobs are correct and I have made sure that the .CSV files are laid out correctly using notepad ++. The only thing left I can think of is a formatting issue. Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

steve

Re: Problems with .CSV files exported from Eureka Data Excha

Post by steve » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi,
I would try to get the import working directly from within Import/Export program first, then move to automating the job with Task Server.
Either copy or modify your import job, then in the filename, specify the location of a test CSV file. Then click the "DATA" tab at the top of Import/Export program, and click the #play# button to see that it picks up the fields and data correctly.

Common failures with CSV are that:
[*]you've played around with the file in Excel, then saved as CSV which may leave many blank fields and too many commas. I see you have used Notepad++ to verify this isn't happening.
[*]the data in the file contains the specified delimiter in a data field. Check this isn't the case and consider changing the delimiter in the import job definition to e.g. pipe.
[*]CSV import requires a carriage return at the end of a line to signify the end of a row.

running the job manually through the import/export program should highlight your problem.
If you are still stuck, can you post your CSV sample up here and a screenshot of your import job and data template?

Ru5tyLee

Re: Problems with .CSV files exported from Eureka Data Excha

Post by Ru5tyLee » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi Steve,

I have just now figured out why the .CSV files were not being picked up. The data export software is outputting the files in MS-DOS .CSV format and proclaim's directory monitoring can only read standard .CSV files. So I'll have to get the developers to re-work the export software. Thanks for your input!

Daniela Pietraforte

Re: Problems with .CSV files exported from Eureka Data Exchange

Post by Daniela Pietraforte » Thu May 18, 2017 3:32 am

Comma separated values(csv) files sometime cause integration problem. So when uploading to my accounting software ZipBooks(https://zipbooks.com) I convert it to a normal excel file. Similar problem may happen if you use linux. With the help of Parallel or WineHQ this problem can be solved.

revellbikes

Re: Problems with .CSV files exported from Eureka Data Exchange

Post by revellbikes » Thu May 18, 2017 8:59 am

@Ru5tyLee

My understanding of csv's isn't great, but I think the resulting structure of your .csv file will be the same whether you use MS DOS, Macintosh or generic Windows Comma Separated. I believe the main difference between the formats is in how the data within the columns is stored, certain formats lend themselves better to obscure characters like umlauts for example.

Have you tested the existing file within Import Export yet as Steve suggests? It will immediately tell you if your have too many columns on a certain row. You don't even have to import the data, there's an option to do it 'View Only'.