Connecting Proclaim to an Intranet

Imports, export, webservices, custom integration work, 3rd party software plugins etc. Questions about these topics live here.
Status1

Connecting Proclaim to an Intranet

Post by Status1 »

All,

I'm seeking your advice and views on integrating Proclaim with a DMS/SharePoint.

The only features of Proclaim that are used are time recording and the account package. I'd say we really haven't fully adopted Proclaim but this is often the case with litigation as it is document intense.

I'm thinking along the lines of integrating Proclaim with a DMS/ SharePoint site in the following way:

- Docs emails filed to DMS/SharePoint
- Basic client info appears in a tab on the DMS/SharePoint
-Ledgers are visible on the same or another tab on DMS
- time recording - could a third party web app like Carpe Diem be used?

Ideally at a later stage a basic dashboard for fee earner billings and so on.

I understand Proclaim uses Progress as it's database.

I've not had an dealings with Progress only SQL databases.

Hopefully, somebody out there has attempted something similar.

steve

Re: Connecting Proclaim to an Intranet

Post by steve »

Hi,
Perhaps I don't understand your situation entirely, but I think I won't be alone in wondering why you don't just use Proclaim to handle these DMS/practice management functions, and save yourself re-inventing the wheel?

Proclaim can of course store and organise documents, precedents etc
It can display any amount of client info, organised on tabs
Ledgers are visible on an accounts tab
Time recording, targets, MI etc are all available.
You can automate reports and create dashboards from Proclaim-held data for fee earner billing etc.

Perhaps it is just the presentation of the Proclaim data that doesn't suit your working practices?

If you have an incumbent MI/BI system or skillset that relies on SQL queries, you can access the underlying data held in proclaim in a number of ways:
You can set up a "MIWH Management information warehouse" connection, that populates an MSSQL database with selected data fields from proclaim (e.g. time recording, client info etc).

You can also use the underlying Progress database as a data source that you query using SQL92 queries, either in a standalone application via ODBC (e.g. to Excel) or via a linked server/openquery in SSMS if that is what you are used to. There is a little more work needed to create the correct joins and use the correct indexes to extract meaningful data this way, but it is perfectly achievable.

There are tools within Proclaim to achieve links to third party DMS/sharepoint should this really be what you want - e.g. email a history document, trigger a webservice to update a sharepoint site etc, but I'm pretty certain you'd be best off keeping all your docs and data inside Proclaim.

Status1

Post by Status1 »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

The main feedback I get from fee earners is that it takes too many clicks to file emails into Proclaim. We also deal with lots of documents from clients, sometimes into gigabyte amounts since we deal with commercial litigation. The benefit of using a product like iManage is it can predictively file emails and allows for access on any device. I think part of the struggle goes back to the implementation and after 5 years I feel we are now set in our ways. Also, litigation is less structured than conveyancing or personal injury.

Yes, I do find the presentation of Proclaim has a whiff of the 1980s, it is more-or-less a collection of screens rather than a program.

My idea is simply to use it for the accounts and BI only.

steve

Post by steve »

Have a chat with your account manager at Eclipse for a demo of the latest features. There are some improvements in 3.4.1.20 relating to email handling, auto email imports etc that might help you out.
I think Proclaim has the features you need, and perhaps a little help in training and familiarisation with the latest features will help you get the most from your investment.
Proclaim also has various modules to help with user input and viewing items on the move - Proclaim Go, securedocs etc, and if you are brave, an API to call code from your own app.
I'm not familiar with iManage or the gap it plugs in the shortcomings with Proclaim, but perhaps Proclaim could be made to integrate via judicial use of custom webservices, sharing links to docs, workspace etc.
There's a post here: https://www.proclaimforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=452