Encrypted emails with Rmail

Imports, export, webservices, custom integration work, 3rd party software plugins etc. Questions about these topics live here.
Jacqueline

Encrypted emails with Rmail

Post by Jacqueline » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:27 pm

Just wondering whether anyone uses a good alternative to rmail for encrypted emails - or whether this proclaim-integrated encryption method is worth pursuing?

All comments appreciated

David P

Re: Encrypted emails with Rmail

Post by David P » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:39 am

We use Vipre Email Security (formerly known as FuseMail) as a cheaper alternative to Mimecast for our encryption. Looking at Rmail, I can see the appeal of sending emails without requiring the recipients to create an account for a portal to view the encrypted emails but I personally think that sending an email to a mailbox saying "you are about to get an encrypted email, here's the password" and then sending the email with a password protected PDF attached shortly afterwards kind of defeats the point.

Our main users of encrypted mail are our Family and Employment teams, the risk of our client's mailboxes being accessed by another party in these cases is quite a bit higher so we settle for the inconvenience of them having to create an account.

Rmail looks expensive too and they appear to charge extra for API access (which I assume Proclaim uses) and have a fair usage policy that looks like it could cause hidden costs for some people.

I think Sophos have a similar offering, whereby the email is converted to a password protected PDF whereas the others I looked into all used portals.

David P

Re: Encrypted emails with Rmail

Post by David P » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:42 am

To add to that, our setup is very easy for our users. They simply include [encrypt] in the subject and that triggers the encryption.