Office 365 / Office 2016 - Slow report generation

Discuss your general Proclaim related queries here.
SplanK

Office 365 / Office 2016 - Slow report generation

Post by SplanK » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi all,
I have come seeking help! I am not too familiar with the Proclaim software, but I know just enough to get by.... or be dangerous :lol:

Around 12-18 months ago we moved from Office 2007 to Office 365 and immediately began having problems.

Whilst they have some niggles, I am concentrating on one area at the moment, reports generation being very slow. The example report I am running will take around 3 minutes to run when Office 2007 is installed on the workstation, however if either Office 2016 or Office 365/2016 is installed, this same report, with same date range can take in excess of 30 minutes to complete. The report exports/generates the information into an Excel spreadsheet.

The same problem happens if I was to log into Proclaim on the server and run the reports directly on there. This problem also affects reports generated via the Task Servers.

Discussing with Eclipse, they have advised the following:
1. Reinstall Office 365 (lost count how many times I have done this now!)
2. Tick the VBA box under Trust Centre > Macro.

We had an update to Proclaim in December, taking us from 3.3.1 (I think) to 3.4 with OpenEdge 11.7. This did not help.

Re-installing Windows 10 from scratch, then installing only new Proclaim components and Proclaim version, again does nothing to help the situation.

We are at a complete loss, and we seem to be going around in circles with Eclipse who just rinse and repeat the same advise of reinstall/tick VBA box!

steve

Re: Office 365 / Office 2016 - Slow report generation

Post by steve » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Work around it - avoid creating Excel reports directly from Proclaim as they are slow even on a good day.
You have several other ways of generating an Excel report (if that is what management desires),
* add data to Dynamic Database, then connect as an ODBC datasource in Excel
* add data to MIWH database "" "" "" "" ""
* advanced report create CSV, then connect to Text file as datasource in Excel

SplanK

Re: Office 365 / Office 2016 - Slow report generation

Post by SplanK » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:49 am

Thanks for your comments. I will discuss to see if any of the reports can be altered, but I feel as though I will get resistance to the suggested.

Given that Eclipse report that Office 2016 is part of their supported list (and they verbally told us Office 365 is also supported), then repots should work around the same speed at Office 2007, at the moment they are running at 10x slower at best! There must be something either seriously amiss with the software, or a setting/configuration we have yet to spot/configure.

I also believe that Office 365/2016 is causing additional problems with Proclaim through various hanging and taking a long time to log in (I believe this to be Outlook causing some grief), non of which was experienced with Office 2007, but wanted to at least crack the reports issue first as this is giving the most headache.