Handler maintenance

Discuss your general Proclaim related queries here.
ISimpson

Handler maintenance

Post by ISimpson » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:49 am

Has anybody had any experience of trying to remove users and fee earners since the introduction of the combined Handler Maintenance program?

I'm aware that Eclipse say they recommend that old and obsolete users and fee earners are not deleted and to use option tuning (the answer from Eclipse support to me yesterday), which is fine except that I've found I'm struggling with SQL to omit those fee earners from Query input choice in main case handling (say for example a query to select cases by fee earner where the fee earner is chosen from the list of fee earners).

I'm thinking the way would be to make sure no cases are still assigned to the fee earners to be deleted, export the fee earners from Handler Maintenance, delete the ones I don't want and then import back (such as you can do with any other option in Option Maintenance) and then delete the users from User Maintenance (or perhaps the other way round)?

Enigma

Re: Handler maintenance

Post by Enigma » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi,

A suggestion that I have had in the past, but not something I have done myself yet, was to change the System Matrix entry of 'Fee Earner' to look at a temporary option list e.g. 'Fee Earner Temp'. This would break the link between Handler Maintenance and the Fee Earner Option list and should let you edit the Option list freely without the restriction.

Definitely do this out of hours or when no one is using the system just to avoid any hiccups.

I would highly recommend doing this in a test environment or ensuring you have a backup just on the off chance it causes havoc with Handler Maintenance. As it is not something I have attempted myself yet.

ISimpson

Post by ISimpson » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:15 pm

That's great idea, thanks :).

I have a ticket with Eclipse support so I guess I will wait until I get their response first, in case there is a less potentially disruptive solution!!

SteampunkProfessor

Post by SteampunkProfessor » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:10 am

While I agree to some extent with Eclipse, that it's best to leave old handlers (you have some traceability for their old matters) and just option tune them out, I would still like the option to remove some permanently. To be perfectly honest, the old method was simpler and worked, the Handler Maintenance utility is a real pain to use.

ISimpson

Post by ISimpson » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:10 pm

The answer from support is that a number of database tables need to be updated, which if handled incorrectly, can cause data corruption and has no audit capability. But, apparently, it is possible to do if we follow some steps properly. The kind support people are putting down a process of how to set the data properly and then, I suspect, it will be Proclaim support that then run the routine (after backing up the database).

If it wasn't for the fact that I can't figure out how to option tune them out for a live Query (where the list of names in the option is picked from) then I would use option tuning. I have to agree with SteampunkProfessor - Handler maintenance seems an unnecessary complication that is not particularly easy to use.