What language is proclaim using?

Discuss your general Proclaim related queries here.
newguy

What language is proclaim using?

Post by newguy » Sun May 27, 2018 7:44 am

Is it BASIC procedural language?

revellbikes

Re: What language is proclaim using?

Post by revellbikes » Sun May 27, 2018 12:35 pm

Do you mean 'Proclaim Maths'?

If so it's a home brew language based on a few different ones. We'll that's my interpretation at least.

Similar principles to C# I believe, various differences and things they've added in.

JohnMuff

Post by JohnMuff » Tue May 29, 2018 10:09 am

Proclaim is written in a language called OpenEdge which is part of the Progress company.
The scripting language you use to write Proclaim Maths is an Eclipse invented language - not based on any other language. It started out as a way to automate actions on cases (send letters, make calls etc). It evolved to do many other things including IF comparisons and looping/iterating.

Colsec

Post by Colsec » Fri May 24, 2019 6:20 am

I appreciate this is an old thread, but: I'm relatively new to coding and need to know as much as possible about Proclaim maths. Does anyone have any suggestions on which language I should focus on to be most relative to Proclaim maths? Is Revellbikes suggestion above of C# still the most relevant?

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Fri May 24, 2019 8:16 am

Hi Colsec,

Partially echoing the above, it is it's own 'language' in a sense.

I see it as a stereotypical coding language in the sense of using the IF's, WHILE's, THEN's etc. but a lot of it is very specific to Proclaim itself, a lot of the keywords just relate to things you probably wouldn't find anywhere else outside of Proclaim or at least in the same context.

Prior to starting to work with Proclaim I did a Python course that gave me a nice basis for understanding the code when I came to use Proclaim. I found it to be similar in terms of structuring. I haven't used C# myself but definitely take a look at that as well based on revelbikes recommendation.

Other than that, short of maybe doing an Eclipse Course, a lot of what I have learnt about it has been self taught and a lot of experimentation! Having a goal or task to try and work towards always helps! I tend to waltz around the Forum and try and figure out an approach to some things and then if there is already a resolution, compare and criticize my own code. There is also a lot of code already in the system from when Eclipse set up certain case types, so even having a look through that just to interpret how it works. One day it just clicked in my head after reading page after page!

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri May 24, 2019 10:46 am

To be honest, I don't think that you really *need* to know that much about coding to be able to write things in Proclaim maths although the Eclipse (Admin1) training course & associated courseware manual is a rather good starting point.

As long as you have a reasonable grasp of the basic concepts then (at least in my opinion) the editor is almost insultingly simple to use.

If your doing math in a math field then it's just "RESULT= <variable1> + <variable2> + <etc> " to get a total of those variables, or that with the addition of the usual modifiers your probably used to using in Excel, so "RESULT= <variable1> / 2" would take the variable and divide whatever number was in variable 1 by a factor of two, and return that result to the math field.

When it comes to the Proclaim editor then again, you just click on keywords and pick what you wanted to do from the dropdown list and then press the tick next to it. I've written my own workflows without any real problems, and I wouldn't consider myself an accomplished coder. (Mostly along the same way Enigma suggests, by looking at things and prodding it to see how it works.

I really think that most of it is just having the confidence to play. If you haven't got an indispensable "Mr & Mrs Test" case somewhere already then set one up, create a "TEST" linked action & Document and play with things in it to your hearts content. As long as you copy existing code into your test action or document and don't overwrite anything then you can't actually do any harm playing on a test case.

David P

Post by David P » Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 pm

For what it's worth, I sometimes paste maths into Visual Studio Code as I find it handy to be able to make comparisons between maths items in that environment and also reading through large maths items in dark mode is easier on my eyes than within Proclaim. When I do that, changing the language selection from plain text to C# gives very good highlighting, so I would echo that it is close(ish) to C# in terms of layout and principle. I'd agree with Enigma and Peter, especially the setting up a test case and playing with it part in conjunction with looking at what's already there.

Colsec

Post by Colsec » Sat May 25, 2019 6:47 am

Huge thanks for your suggestions. I've done most of eclipse courses and am now at the point where the eclipse support staff often can't help me, hence why I'm keen to develop my understanding further on my own. As you all correctly say, I'll keep testing on my test cases, looking at the existing codes and probably undertake further C# and Python courses to continue to get a better understanding generally. And keep floating around this forum. Thanks again!

cganner1978

Post by cganner1978 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 am

Ive been a Proclaim developer for as long as i can imagine (over 15 years at least) i remember having many conversations with a very nice man name Mr. Ough (those of us old enough or experienced enough to remember him), sat in a pub in Bradford after a training course on afternoon and he said, "to be honest sometimes we dont even know how it works or if it makes sense, we just makes it up and throw it in and it seems to be doing ok!"

David P

Post by David P » Wed May 29, 2019 2:58 pm

:lol: that explains a lot!