Incoming Mail, importing files

Discuss your general Proclaim related queries here.
Nate

Incoming Mail, importing files

Post by Nate »

Usually we receive reports from correspondents such as medicals, engineer reports etc through email which then gets put in the case's task list (email diary import)
However, It would be much more convenient to have this already processed in the history. This can be done using Incoming mail maths and specifying a file path.

Now, I have tested this partially by setting up shared drives with other companies where they would simply places their reports e.g. "case1.doc", "case2.doc" The only problem is, I cant seem to find a way to simply check if a file exists on the drive before attempting to bring it in via Incoming Mail. If you try to import a file that doesn't exist, it fills the history line with nonsense and I would like to keep it as clean as possible.

In short, is there a way to check that a specific file at a path "C:\My documents\file.doc" exists before attempting to import into proclaim
From what i have found, the keywords DELETE-FILE and RENAME-FILE seem to deal with external files but i cant find anything to do with checking or opening.

steve

Re: Incoming Mail, importing files

Post by steve »

Have you thought of using the Incoming Mail Directory Monitoring v2 utility instead, with 'autoprocess' ticked in Workflow maintenance against the IM phrase?
Third parties can send you files either directly into a folder, or as an attachment to an email, and they will go straight into the history if you like.
The attachment/file must follow a a specific file naming convention:

xxYYYYYY_abcde.pdf

where:
xx = two-letter incoming mail phrase code, defined in Workflow Maintenance.
YYYYY = casereference to assign file to
_ = delimiter
abcde = freeform text useful for debugging e.g. referrer name.
file extension can be any Proclaim file extension.

example
A112345_referrer.pdf
will import the file into case 12345, assign it incoming mail phrase "A1".

When the 'autoprocess' line is ticked against the IMphrase in Workflow maintenance, it will accept the file directly into PRoclaim, and run the BEFORE/AFTER maths as necessary. If left unticked, it will sit in the case task list as incoming mail with the correct phrase.

IMDMV2 monitors a directory for files. Additionally you can define an email case import job with a directory monitoring job that simply moves the file into the IMDMV2 monitored folder, so third parties can email you the attachment as well.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Having a bit of trouble when trying this. I've renamed the files as specified, and the file is logged/taken away but nothing happens. I actually have no idea where the file has been taken. Does the case reference have to be a a specific number of characters?(5)
This is how I've set it up:
IM code: C1
IM Description: Testing IM

Case Reference: 123456 (our case references are all 6 or 7 digits)

file tested: C1123456_mail test.pdf

EDIT: The file gets put in our batch scan folder
EDIT2: The files were going to the batchscan folder because i was testing out the Incoming Mail Directory Monitoring task.
When using IMDMv2 nothing happens at all.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve

Post by steve »

you'll need a new folder for IMDMV2 - separate from your batch incoming mail (IMDM 'V1') folder.
you then specify the IMDMV2 folder in a scheduled task. The task server log for this task will help you debug

Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks Steve, this all works perfectly. The problem was that the email address I used to clarify the test worked was typed incorrectly, causing all sorts of issues. Strangely enough, it didn't appear in the log file.
It's always the little things that cause the problems.

steve

Post by steve »

glad it works for you.
I'm always wary of how proclaim and related services handle filenames with spaces in. It's good to see it working with a filename with a space in it, although I'm not sure I'd rely on it working under all scenarios!

VSLaw

Post by VSLaw »

Hi Steve

Is "Incoming Mail Directory Monitoring V2" the name of the programme? This something that no longer exists in 3.3.1?

Cheers

steve

Post by steve »

Hi,
it's the name of the Taskserver job template, rather than a utility on the Proclaim toolbar.
The feature is described in the v3.0 release notes under the title "Auto Import of Documents".

VSLaw

Post by VSLaw »

Brilliant, thanks Steve

Code Killer

Post by Code Killer »

Massive thanks Steve, this should really help with a project I'm working on at the moment :D