Proclaim Developer Expectations

Discuss your general Proclaim related queries here.
Code Killer

Proclaim Developer Expectations

Post by Code Killer »

Hi All,

This is very general question, I personally look after all Proclaim development, handle all needs for data that needs to be produced, push the data out into Crystal reports, produce reports, schedule them as well as looking after IT support and anything related (not to mention the operational planning) for the business I work for. :shock:

I've recently seen a spike in the Proclaim developer roles and I've seen on a fair few listings that similarly expect the candidate to cover a lot more than specifically Proclaim development. :idea:

Is it just me or does this seem to be the norm? :?:

Thanks

John

PS. I couldn't see a more appropriate place for the post than 'general'

galexander

Re: Proclaim Developer Expectations

Post by galexander »

Hi John

Sounds like you do pretty much everything!

I haven't followed up many of the job specs to get more of an idea but the few I've looked at have varied from Proclaim-only to Proclaim + some combination of SQL, API, C# etc. It might be that if they've had Proclaim for a while they may decide they would like in-house skills to handle third-party integrations, data extraction and reporting, additional coding skills to enhance Proclaim functionality etc.

Enigma

Post by Enigma »

From a lot of the job roles I've seen in the past couple years I have seen the same as well!

I'd attribute the surge in roles available to the upcoming reforms that have been an impending doom that gets put back year after year. Perhaps most firms are starting to realise "Oh s**t...RTA won't be enough...call in the big guns we need to revamp our other case types!".

The jack of all trades approach seems fairly common from what I have seen, especially for smaller sized firms. End of the day, if you don't have the scale and the income stream to justify setting up separate teams for IT support, IT Infrastructure and Proclaim Development (the list could go on) it tends to end up in the hands of a select few people.

I've worked for a firm in the past where I was doing the development, reporting, low level network support and day to day IT. (it put a few years on me :P )

But flip the coin and I now work in a firm where its just purely Proclaim Development.

Speaking from my own experience, I'd attribute the over burdening of role responsibilities to the firm probably not having anyone in place who actually understands the need for separate roles. They probably just paint you with the same brush "IT guy - does all the IT". Though they could genuinely just be looking for a prodigy who knows everything! In which case, nice ego boost haha. :lol:

Code Killer

Post by Code Killer »

hahaha that doesn't sound like something professional companies do, put off the big jobs until they have to be done :lol:

It just seems like common practice these days, it would be good to have like another person to cover the IT related stuff. I'm getting my head around web development at the moment so I can shift to something far more common place and finding an answer to a technical question is a global search rather than a comparatively small community or the lackluster support I've had from Eclipse (with exception to a few excellent people there).

I don't want to think about how many years it's put on me after dealing with a ransomware attack and other "sh*t hit's the fan" kind of issues" :(

For me that's where I think the best environment for a developer, to focussed on doing the best with the tools at hand rather than being pre occupied or interrupted with other unrelated issues.

I'd happily take take the take of prodigy :lol:

The Irony is we have sister companies who have it support structure, analysts and tested and proven development practices in place. :geek: