Performing XML Export

Discuss your general Proclaim related queries here.
crs_tb

Performing XML Export

Post by crs_tb » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:24 am

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me with a process for backing up cases from Proclaim.

Currently I have searched technical docs and this forum for a process to archive/backup/export cases from our system, but have not found what I need.

I believe the best option to go with is the XML Data Template Maintenance. However, I have been unable to determine how to export the case data - so far, it would seem I can only view XML templates from within cases.

I feel like I'm missing something blaringly obvious, but can anyone point me in the right direction for exporting/backing up case data?

revellbikes

Re: Performing XML Export

Post by revellbikes » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Just to clarify you're not wanting to backup your Proclaim system using this method? You have a separate backup strategy in place already?

crs_tb

Post by crs_tb » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:54 pm

revellbikes wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 pm
Just to clarify you're not wanting to backup your Proclaim system using this method? You have a separate backup strategy in place already?
We don't have a backup system in place at the moment. So, that's what I've been looking for. It seems like this is the best option for backup for us, but I am unsure how to actually implement or perform the XML export as a back up.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:25 pm

crikey, there's so much more to a comprehensive backup solution than taking XML exports of case data!

As a bare minimum, Eclipse will be able to (and probably already have) set up for you a simple backup script that will back up your entire Proclaim database(s) on a nightly basis, for you to store somewhere safe. This is to be used alongside a backup of everything else you should be backing up as part of a comprehensive business continuity (BC) plan so you can recover from the usual disaster scenarios (DR) such as hardware failure, malware, fire/theft/flood, accidental or malicious deletion or modification.

One scenario where an XML 'backup' export of a specific case might be valuable is if you are setting up some training files, that you want to roll back to a known state after you have done the training with one person, but would I use XML exports for BC/DR? No!

With respect, I'm sure this forum can give you some pointers, but it sounds like you would benefit from some help from an external IT company who will help you form a strategy to backup your Proclaim and related infrastructure in a compliant manner.

crs_tb

Post by crs_tb » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Our IT setup is far from ideal and we do know that. I was simply looking for a basic solution to backup some data - being new to proclaim I did not know Eclipse would handle backups to that extent, and if anything like that has been implemented already I have unfortunately not been told.

Thank you for the advice, Steve. Could you point me to where I might find existing backup scripts, if they have actually been set up?

steve

Post by steve » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:59 pm

No worries -
script location and name varies depending on age of installation, but there is hopefully a folder on your Proclaim database server, somewhere like
//prodisk/proclaim/batch
On the Proclaim database server, there should be an accompanying Windows Task Scheduler job to run this backup script, which will save a copy of the database to a single 'flat' file as defined in the script - one per database - and possibly/hopefully a .st database structure file too.

You don't need to shut the database down to take a backup. Some older installations may still do this/for some other technical reasons.

You'll want to backup your Documents store and documents archive too as an absolute minimum (this is all the case history documents and letter templates etc.

Your best bet is just give Eclipse a quick call to help you sleep at night. They aren't responsible for backing up your data but will help by providing the script to backup the database, and even scheduling it for you. Your job is then to make sure these backup files are stored offsite in a secure manner.

Backup/business continuity is a big topic - you'll want to think about backing up more things than just the database and documents - think replacement hardware, emails, operating systems, other software, network connections, even getting locked out of your office!
An external support company will ask you questions such as
How quickly do you want to recover to a working environment after an outage: whats the hourly cost to your firm of downtime?
How much data/work can you afford to lose? 1 day? 1/2 day? 5 minutes?
How quick will it be before you notice damage to older files/data?

They can then design a system to suit. It's very much a tailored solution to your needs, infrastructure and budget.

ISimpson

Post by ISimpson » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:18 pm

Definately consider an IT contractor to help configure your system and backups. If the Proclaim database isn't being backed up then what else isn't? Accounting/Payroll data? CRM? Important other documents and spreadheets, sacanned documents/contracts?

An IT contractor can, as part of the service, include doing a full bare metal system restore test at defined intervals as part of your disaster recovery.